Volume 3 Issue 6

Issue link:

Contents of this Issue


Page 41 of 63

Page 42 | Abby's Magazine - Alzheimer's Cognitive Dysfunction Syndrome Of the number of people that get Alzheimer's disease, less than 5% is derived from genetically related factors, leaving the other 95% attributed to lifestyle and environmental factors that affect the brain over time. The same percentages apply to animals. Although not yet fully understood, Alzheimer disease damages and kills brain cells either by developing plaques on the outside of brain cells or by interfering with cell to cell communication, resulting in a failure to transport nutrients and ultimately leading to brain cell death. In 1906, German physician Alois Alzheimer, a pioneer in linking symptoms to microscopic brain changes, was the first to report a case of a patient who had profound memory loss, unfounded suspicions about her family, and other worsening psychological changes. In her brain at autopsy, he saw dramatic shrinkage and abnormal deposits in and around nerve cells. In 1910 this disease was named after Dr. Alzheimer. Cognitive Dysfunction Syndrome (CDS) is a degenerative brain disease of animals and is remarkably similar to Alzheimer's in humans. As with humans, areas of the geriatric animal's brain stops working properly, leading to problems with learning, memory, sleep patterns, social interaction, and incontinence (inability to hold urine and bowel movements). Researchers have recently identified the same plaque (a beta-amyloid protein present in the brain cells of people with Alzheimer's) in cats exhibiting confusion and geriatric onset behavioral problems. Current studies have shown that half of all cats over the age of 15 years and a quarter aged 11 years to 14 years are suffering from "geriatric onset behavioral problems." 62% of dogs between 11 years and 16 years of age demonstrate one or more signs of cognitive dysfunction. Rabbits, guinea pigs and parrots have been identified to have this disease as well. Pet insurance claims for vet appointments regarding dementia have increased by 23 per cent for dogs and 48 per cent for cats over the last three years. Cognitive dysfunction syndrome or "Alzheimer's" is diagnosed when all other causes for the symptoms have been excluded. Signs of CDS may include 1 or more of the following symptoms: - Wandering aimlessly, confused and not able to settle down. - Staring blankly, the pet does not know what's going on. - Doesn't recognize other family members. - Gets lost in the yard or house. - Keeps seeking attention. - Barking or crying repeatedly for no apparent reason. 95% of Cognitive Dysfunction Syndrome (Alzheimer's) cases can be prevented by feeding a species appropriate diet with proper supplements and eliminating toxins from the environment. Top 6 things to prevent or slow down CDS 1. Teaching new tricks and challenging the pet's brain with new environmental stimuli. Puzzle games that make the pet figure out the prize stimulates the brain. 2. Increase the antioxidants in the diet using organic natural foods or organic supplements. 3. Supplement with the 90 essential vitamins, minerals and fatty acids. 4. Feed a balanced raw diet using grass fed meat, organic

Articles in this issue

Links on this page

Archives of this issue

view archives of Abby's - Volume 3 Issue 6